Friday, April 17, 2015

Weekly Wrap-Up and a Much Needed Update

Easter with family and friends
Working with the kids after school has proven to be a challenge. As the year has progressed, more homework has come home and the difficulty level has really ramped up. I've decided to hold off on all formal home lessons until the summer. I will write a post detailing our summer plans as soon as I make some final decisions on the curriculum we will use. Boots would love to do "school work" all day while Monkey would rather spend the day at the pool. Balance is my goal for both kids this summer.

Monkey was prescribed glasses and was found to be very (I mean we had no choice but to upgrade the lenses to lessen their thickness!!) far-sighted. He broke them less than 2 months later, but thankfully they were able to be repaired. I learned to keep a back-up pair! He also has to wear a patch 2 hours a day.

Patch Time
Broken glasses with the note from school
He devours comics, graphic novels, and non-fiction picture books.



Level H!

Boots has gone above and beyond any reading expectations I had for Kindergarten and is almost at a 2nd grade reading level! She loves chapter books and is currently waiting the next Eerie Elementary book to come out.

She loves "teaching" her stuffed animals to read and making lists of her things to-do each day.

I introduced "What's in the Bible?" videos to them and they have become a big hit! We will definitely continue through the series.

We also had plenty of snow (for Texas) this winter!



















What I'm Reading:
AHA by Kyle Idleman - I'm only a few chapters in and I can already tell this will be one of those books that changes my relationship with God forever.

How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ken Ludwig - I can't wait to dive in to this with my children over the summer. I love that this book is simple, step-by-step, and full of reassurance for a parent that very little experience with Shakespeare.

Boots
Monkey



Weekly Wrap-Up

2 comments:

  1. Afterschooling. Boy I remember those days. It gets really difficult to do it once the kids reach middle school. They are so burned out from their day of school. We did Kumon for years, and they would learn to hate it after the 2 year mark. Then I tried private tutors, me giving them work, then I realized it was best to focus just on Math and Writing. Doing it over the summer is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are going to try more of that approach. Focusing on math and writing during the school year and then fill the summers with all the extras.

      Delete